January 22, 2012 Leave a comment
10 Faves from the ‘Glades to Sunny Isles
Just back from a whirlwind trip to Miami to research a new guidebook I am working on – DK Eyewitness Travel’s Florida Family Guidebook.
Between playgrounds and zoos, I made sure I had plenty of time to grab me some of that legendary Miami cuisine – the very definition of melting pot. From Everglades ‘gator tail to Brazilian churrascaria and over-the-top Italian, Miami restaurants more than cover the globe.
Here are the top ten dishes I tasted there lately.
- Octopus ceviche at Cantina Beach, Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne.
- Conch and corn fritters with roasted yellow pepper puree at Ortanique, Coral Gables
- Fried green tomato BLT with jalapeno mashed potatoes at LuLu, Coconut Grove
- Three-guac sampler with nachos and chicharron at Cantina Beach, Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne
- Turkey reuben and homemade chips at Big Pink, South Beach
- Egg and ham quesadilla with café con leche at Al’s Coffee Shop, Coral Gables
- Dark chocolate and chile gelato at Dolce Vita, Coconut Grove
- Short ribs and pasta with marinara sauce at Kitchen 305, Newport Beachside Resort, Sunny Isles Beach
- Fried alligator at Coopertown (population 0008)
- Smoked sea bass at Jimbo’s, Virginia Key